Updated: Apr 22
All of my life I have had trouble keeping my mouth happy and healthy. I struggled with cavities, toothaches, sensitivity, bleeding gums and more. It got so bad that my dentist was worried she would have to send me to the doctor to make sure everything else health wise was okay.
I told her I was going to figure it out and this is how I did:
This has been a year long journey and I feel like I have finally figured it out. Overall what I did was as follows.
1. I start my day by Tongue scraping. In ayruveda it's one of the best ways to ensure your don't ingest the toxins that your body fought so hard to expel throughtout the night.
2. I got a new toothbrush, doesnt need to be fancy but it does need to be electric. I got this one because it has a circular brush and that is exactly what I wanted.
3. I switched my toothpaste to a more natural ganoderma toothpaste which has helped with whittening without creating sensitivity.
4. I more recently added a water pik to my daily routine. This has added a level of conveinence that's simply enjoyable.
5. I do also floss as well if I feel that certain areas could use both the water pik and more.
7. I got a humidifier one of the downsides to living in a frozen tundra is dry air when we heat our houses. Most people mouth breathe when it's dry and this can lead to drying of the gums and irritation.
6. The last thing I do to ensure that my mouth is healing properly, isn't feeling sore, or bleeding is Vitamin C. This is the best! I take a lot, 4000 mg a day. For me this is the sweet spot but definitely consult your own health care practicioner before hand.
If you are just starting to consider investing in your teeth I would add a new habit when you get used to brushing and flossing first. We dont want this to be an overwhelming experience we want it to be an empowering one. I know how frustrating it is to have spent lots of money on braces and cavities, to have felt like I was doing my very best, and it wasnt seeming to solve anything. Now I can say I haven't gotten cavities within the last 2 years. My gums no longer bleed when I floss, my mouth feels cleaner all around, you know that feeling when you leave the dentist and your teeth are squeeky clean, I have that everyday without the harmful chemicals. I love it!
If you get discouraged just remember that it shouldn't be a chore it's a ritual, bring love into your routines. Treat yourself by taking good care of yourself.
Please please tell me if you add any of these into your routine and any questions you have.